We tend to forget our spiritual identity in God. As we explored on Sunday for the sermon, we pursue brokenness instead of realizing our true nature as God’s children. It’s important to remember who you are!
So, what does being God’s child look like, anyways? Scripture is absolutely filled with many timeless reminders. I heard it once said that the bible is literally God’s “love letter” to humanity. Time and time again, God reminds us of our identity in his family. Here are just a few insightful verses…
- Exodus 3:7- “The Lord said, ‘I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering.'” The most miraculous thing about Moses and the burning bush was that God heard the cries of an enslaved people in need. God is concerned with lifting up the lowly and oppressed. God hears your cries, too.
- Proverbs 15:3- “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.” God is watching over you… you are worth noticing!
- Jeremiah 29:11- “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” As a child of God, God has made plans for your future!
- John 15:15- “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.” Through Christ, we enjoy friendship with God forever.
- 1 Corinthians 3:16- “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?” God sees us as a temple–a dwelling for the Holy Spirit!
- 2 Corinthians 5:17- “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, they are a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” God gives you newness of life, no matter your past mistakes or circumstances.
- Ephesians 2:10- “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” As God’s child, you are a wonderful but of workmanship. God has created you to do goodness in our world.
- Colossians 3:3-4- “For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” Our old life is gone, and we enjoy new life, hidden in God’s arms.
This list is only a small handful of verses that describe your identity in God’s family. I encourage you to read more of the bible to discover even more!