“I am struggling with _______________.”
How do you fill in the blank? What is that one sin you struggle with? From callousness to cursing, greed to grouchiness, or pornography to pride, we all have something with which we strive against.
Here’s a grand overview of what we’ve been exploring since Easter for our sermon series:
- REMEMBER who you are. Scripture for this week was 1 John 3:1-10. You are a child of God. God has given you a new identity. Jesus came to take away your sin. Jesus should make a tangible difference in your life right here and right now. Allow Jesus to take that sin away. And finally, be born again of God. When we develop that relationship with God, God works in our heart and that sin becomes less desirable. By pursuing God’s truth, we are reminded that we can conquer that sin.
- REFLECT on the consequences. Scripture for this week was Galatians 6:1-10. When you’re facing temptation… Reflect on the consequences. A person reaps what they sow. What are you planting? Are you planting Godliness? Or are you planting sinfulness by giving into the sin in your life. What are you doing with your life? Are your pursuing death and unrighteousness? Or are you pursuing God’s life and righteousness? To resist temptation, we need to reflect on the consequences.
- RECOMMIT yourself to God. Scripture for this week was Psalm 51–David’s song of repentance. God offers you forgiveness. You can never run too far away from God. God will always welcome you, no matter whats happened in your past. Even when you fall and stumble, even when you fall into temptation, God will be there to pick you back up. You can always recommit yourself to God.
- REVEAL your struggle to a friend. Scripture for this week was Ecclesiastes 4:9-12. When you are working to resist temptation, it helps to reveal your struggle to a friend. You might be intimidated at first, but in the end, it will be worth it. Find someone you can trust. Find someone who will support you. And lastly, find someone who will encourage you. Friends in Christ help us overcome our temptations!
- REMOVE yourself from the situation. Scripture for this week was Proverbs 28:9-14. God calls us to holiness, which means to be set apart, a witness for God, and delivered from brokenness. Sometimes the best thing to do when facing that one temptation is to just walk away from what might be leading us astray.
We all struggle with temptation… the question is whether we will use the tools to resist it! Through these five biblically-based practices rooted in the Christian tradition, you’ll be able to use God-given grace to conquer whatever you might face.
One thought on “Series Recap: Resisting Temptation”
This has been a great series of sermons. You are wise beyond your years. Thank you for the great job you do sharing God’s word with us and others.